Sunday, July 12, 2009

I should be ashamed





Back in May, I wrote something explaining why I'm not on Twitter. And I was honest in that my days cover the same routine. How could that possibly be interesting?

As most of you know, I began writing for the Examiner back in April. I started posting brief links to the Examiner pieces on Facebook. I thought the whole thing pointless because most of the people I know on Facebook are regulars here on CycleDog, and for the most part, they have their own blogs. I wasn't using Facebook to accumulate more friends.

Something strange happened. When I posted a link to an Examiner piece, page views over there spiked. And the numbers were greater than the number of people in my contact list. I don't know why that happened, but I'll take it. If someone has an explanation, I'd be happy to hear it. If Facebook helps reach more people with the bicycling education message, it's a very good thing.

So that brings us back to the whole idea of using Twitter in a similar vein. Yes, that means I've set up a CycleDog account on Twitter, too. Now I have to figure out how to use it.

When I broached this idea to my best friend, Dr. Wally, he called me an idiot. Actually, he said, "Twitter away ya twit!" Sure, I'm way behind the curve as far as technology is concerned, but Wally hasn't given up Morse code for a cellphone yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger RANTWICK said...

Hey, CD. I originally set up a Rantwick twitter account just to protect myself from anybody else using the name.

Now, however, I use the "tweet this" link on my blog to "announce" new blog posts to anyone who may prefer to follow me on twitter. I don't tweet anything else, like "bought some bread", or "jonesing for nachos" or anything...

The "tweet this" also allows people who love and use twitter to spread the word about something they really like on the blog.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Where did you get the code for the Tweet This button? I looked through the gadgets on Blogger, but didn't see anything like that.

9:31 PM  
Blogger RANTWICK said...

I couldn't find the original article where I got the code, but I've copied the necessary stuff off of my blog and sent it to the email attached to your profile...

Rantwick

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home