Thursday, December 21, 2006

Back in the saddle again...

Lyndsay bought me a new/used saddle for my birthday, a lightly used Brooks Professional that I installed on the Centurion commuter bike this afternoon. Yes, it's used, but it's new to me, so it's a new/used saddle. That makes perfect sense! I rubbed it down with saddle soap a couple of times until it developed a deep brown color and a bit of luster. The oversized copper rivets are tarnished and dull, but I'll leave them that way. They'll buff up a little bit as the saddle gets used.

Tom had the saddle behind the counter down at his shop. I spotted it immediately and we arranged a price. I was there to pick up my new shoes, another birthday gift. Tom said to Mary, "You've spoiled him, you know!" She readily agreed. We debated the point off and on while driving home.

I wanted to put the saddle on the bike when we arrived, but I couldn't find it. "Where's the Brooks Pro?" I asked.

"It's your present, so you can't have it!" Mary replied. The logic of that statement still eludes me.

My birthday rolled around on Tuesday. (For the curious, I turned 55.) We had a nice family dinner. Mary made manicotti, something the kids hadn't had before and they were a little dubious until she told them it was very similar to lasagna. The dove in, forks flying. My son really should have a t-shirt that says "Keep Hands and Feet Clear!" At sixteen, he's a bottomless pit for groceries. Even Lyndsay ate a lot, and that's something that I like to see. She's still recovering from her summer illness, and she would benefit by gaining a few pounds.

We had gifts and cake and ate too much. It was a good time.

I hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days, however, and on Wednesday it was all I could do to get out of bed. I know it's going to be a bad day when I need some ibuprofen first thing in the morning. My legs and back hurt. My throat was raspy, and I just felt tired. I started the Ford and drove to work.

Today (Thursday) was a little better. I drove to work again. My legs still hurt, but the other aches seem to be subsiding. It was probably just a mild cold. I'll be back on the bike tomorrow.....on my new/used saddle.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home